Monday, November 1, 2010

I am internet

An example of how I Am Internet:

Today I ordered some rechargeable batteries from a website and the ordering made me remember that I had ordered before. I went to my email and searched for the business name and got five results; one was an 'order dispatched' notice which I opened. It had a item tracking number which I copied and pasted into the parcel tracking website and was shown that I had indeed picked up the parcel on 13 September - I thought this was when I flew back to the UK. I again searched my email for the name of the airline I flew with and found my old itinerary, which confirmed I flew later that day; so I picked up the parcel (or my wife did) on the way to the airport and we forgot that it was still in the car.

This all worked so easily and smoothly; so much detail was reconstructed from my patchy recolection. The computers are remembering for me. Part of me is the information I can access, and I am more functional because of the computer support.

I am not sure whether to love this or distrust it.

No comments: